[ltp] Question about linux-phc for undervolting

Sukant Hajra linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:08:58 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

Debian just released Etch, so I finally got around to installing 2.6.20
the Debian way that I prefer.  That said, when I rebooted my system, I
got a message said (I'm paraphrasing here),

    "CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is deprecated, use
    CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ instead."

I went ahead and switched over, but I soon realized that the linux-phc
patch [1] I use for undervolting patches speedstep-centrino.c, which
seems to be CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO-specific.

I guess I have two questions I thought this forum might be able to help
address.  Otherwise, I'm going to send a similar message to the
Linux-PHC developers (I was hoping they monitored this forum).

  1) What's the nature of the kernel advocacy of CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ
     over CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO?  Is CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ
     currently functionally superior to CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO?
     Or is this advocacy more of directed towards cleaning up future
     development?

  2) Does it make sense for Linux-PHC migrate to
     CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ?  Or is it fundamentally difficult by
     design?

Thanks for your feedback,
Sukant

[1] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161063