[ltp] Re: starting out with suspend/hibernate

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 06:47:45 +0100

on Mon Apr 16 2007, Peter Matulis <petermatulis-AT-yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I have a fresh install of Ubuntu Edgy on my T60.  I have not done
> anything special to this system.  How does one begin to get suspend &
> hibernate to work?  I'm looking for general guidance at this point; not
> step by step instructions.

You scrounge the web looking for things that people have done on
systems like yours, try them all in various combinations, and pray :(
[It's ridiculous how many arcane things there are that one might need
to tweak, and then you'll still probably experience occasional and
seemingly-random issues, like a disappearing wired ethernet adapter or
stopped bluetooth deamon].  There is a better way, but only if you use
Windows or MacOS :(

On my T60p running Feisty, suspend-to-RAM mostly works for me by
changing

    POST_VIDEO=true

    POST_VIDEO=

in /etc/default/acpi-support.  You might see the note I entered here:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_FireGL_V5200#Proprietary_ATI_driver_on_Ubuntu_Feisty

also, note that apparently the gnome-power-manager applet's suspend
function apparently is somewhat different from the one you get in the
window that results from hitting the "log out button!"  I only seem to
have the "shutdown when re-docking" problems mentioned above when I
use the former.

I used to have SWSUSP2 working with Dapper under an earlier kernel
(which I had re-compiled myself).  When it works, it's pretty reliable
and pretty wonderful.  Haven't had time to do it with this kernel.

Cheers,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting