[ltp] dual head with xorg-server 1.3

Martin Lorenz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:52:07 +0200

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 08:36:32AM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Guillermo Ju=C3=A1rez <guillermo.juarez@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Is there any GUI to play with this settings?
> >What man page are you talking about?
> >
>=20
> I don't know of a gui, but the xrandr command line tool should do the
> trick.  The intel driver has a man page 'man intel' or 'man i810'.
> The driver used to be called i810; it has since been renamed intel.

Unfortunately not everything is that easy.

The man-page is not very informative on dual-head configuration issues and
the options xrandr provides can't go beyond the configuration in
xorg.conf...

what I miss with the new driver is the possibility to restore my old
setting of one display per pipe.

I used to have display :0.0 on the internal lcd screen and display :0.1 on
the external one. a simple C-prog did the mouse and keyboard switch=20
- invoced by a keypress - and all was fine.

now all I could achieve is having the same screen on both or doing some
silly left-of or above or so with xrandr

I simply don't WANT the two pipes to be treated as one display. switching
beween them with a mousemove and sending windows back and force would be
nice, but my solution was good enough for me.

greets
mlo
>=20
> Alex
>=20

> >> this is a know regression; "regular" multi-head doesn't work anymore.
> >> With server 1.3, you can use xrandr to reconfigure your desktop and
> >> outputs on the fly. See the intel man page.
> >>
> >> Alex
> >> --
> >>

> >--
> >Guillermo Ju=C3=A1rez
> >Research Assistant
> >COLLIDE Research Group
> >University of Duisburg-Essen
> >
> >guillermo.juarez@gmail.com
> >
> --

gruss
  mlo
--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Lorenz

            They that can give up essential liberty=20
	    to obtain a little temporary safety=20
	    deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                   Benjamin Franklin

please encrypt your mail to me