[ltp] Is the t60 is a goog succesor for a t42.

Sascha Heid linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:38:00 +0200

Hi!

2007/4/26, Florian Manschwetus <florianmanschwetus@gmx.de>:
> Francois Maltey schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My t42 (with a 1600x1200 screen of 15") becomes old.
> > Sometimes I have fuzzy error on the display.
> >
> > Changes seems minor between the 2 laptop.
> >
> > The screen is a little better for the t42.

There is no 1600x1200 available for the T60, right?

> > Perhaps the battery is better in the t60 ?

I believe it will be less. A Core Duo requires much more power than a
Pentium-M with the same clockspeed and the T60 does not even have a
Low-Voltage Core-Duo.

CoreDuo TDP = 65W
Pentium-M 2.26GHz TDP = 27W

Im not saying the battery-life will be three times less but maybe you
wanna google for what other people say about theirs.

> > Do you see other changes.
> >
> > Can I run linux on it out of the box ?

sure

> >   is the wifi card recognized ?

yes

> >   is x11-xorg right after the main apt-get ?

you might have to install 915resolution for it to run the 1400x1050 resolution.

> > Do you have other tips.
> take gentoo it works very nice.
take ubuntu it works very nice :-)

The T42 is still a pretty decent machine, why dont you fix that
display-issue, maybe you just need a new connection cable or something
like this.
If you have the money to burn, sure, why not, but to me it would be a
expensive upgrade with few benefits (more cpu-power).
just my 2 cents.
--
Sascha