[ltp] Is the t60 is a goog succesor for a t42.

Frank Fiene linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 16:43:25 +0200

On Thursday 26 April 2007 14:15, Francois Maltey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My t42 (with a 1600x1200 screen of 15") becomes old.
> Sometimes I have fuzzy error on the display.
>
> So I'll replace now it and use this t42 as a second laptop of the
> family.

Same for me, i got a Z61p and the T42p is in use of my wife! ;-)

> I think I'll buy a t60. This one :
>
> http://www.go4it.fr/lenovo-thinkpad-t60-8744-p-8308.html

A fine machine!

> Changes seems minor between the 2 laptop.
>
> The screen is a little better for the t42.

No, you have to use it, 16/10 has some advantages and the Flexview
Displays are not available anymore if your old system has one. These
ware the best.

> Perhaps the battery is better in the t60 ?
> Do you see other changes.

S-ATA, Double Layer DVD writer?!

> Can I run linux on it out of the box ?
>   is the wifi card recognized ?

Yes, with SuSE no problem, so normally thsi works with other
distributions! Dunno about Debian. Ubuntu was working with framebuffer.

>   is x11-xorg right after the main apt-get ?

Maybe you have to install the ATI drivers, mine was not working with
stock xorg!

I had some problems with unusable system during S-ATA access, maybe a
SuSE-10.2 64bit issue, it is solved now.

Regards
Frank