[ltp] Thinkwiki: idle_consumption

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:35:16 +0200

Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> I know a few methods (for a T60p):
>
> 1/ CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor - set to minimum (1GHz for T60p)
> 2/ Turn off switch for wifi and bluetooth (but how to do this in software)
> 3/ Turn down GPU (aticonfig --set-powerstate=1)

Dim the screen significantly reduces consumption. However, depending on
light conditions, it might not be an option.

For my T41, there is about a 2W difference between dimmest and brightest
setting.

> I also know one way to view power consumption, via power manager, is
> there a better way?

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state

With HD spun down, X shut down, freq set to 600 MHz, I got something
like 8.7W.

Regards,
Ulrich