[ltp] Re: Suspend with kernel 2.6.22.1

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:08:11 -0400

> Me too, I care less about 3D stuff.  The problem is that vesa is a lot
> slower even for 2D stuff.  For example, Firefox is noticeably slower.

I also use VESA (it also uses up less power).  I don't notice any slowdown
in Firefox, but the main problem for me is that the VESA driver doesn't
support the external display, AFAICT.

> Isn't there any way to get direct rendering without fglrx? (ATI
> Technologies Inc M56GL [ATI Mobility FireGL V5200]).

Some people are working on a Free Software driver, based on
reverse engineering.  I remember seeing an announcement of it somewhere.
It's not ready for consumption, sadly.

        Stefan