[ltp] Unlock the #$$$#%#@$%&$ ultrabay

Donald B Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:22:16 -0400

Hello,

I hate to show any knowledge in this area, but....

There are possibly two easy ways to pick the lock.

If it's a ring-shaped one, then Google up how Kryptonite NY bike locks
were routinely picked using the plastic barrel of a cheap BIC pen.  It
may work.

Also, all mechanical key locks are susceptible to a technique called
"bumping", which you can also find on Google.  What you'll need is a
local locksmith who can cut you a blank key to the deepest notch in all
positions.  Then you put a bit of pressure on the key and tap it with
something like a screwdriver handle.     It takes very little skill.

Often you can buy kits of pre-cut keys for bumping on ebay.

Good luck,  (and forget who told you this)

Don A

Michael Gaber wrote:
<SNIP>
> try with a lockpicking-set or if the lock is one of the cheap
> ring-shaped key thingies, you could perhaps try with a paper-clip

<SNIP>

--

Donald B. Altman
Singular Technologies