[ltp] Thinkpad x61 Tablet (irq 20: nobody cared)

Rob Kendrick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Aug 2007 19:40:47 +0100

Jan Gutter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently acquired a Thinkpad x61 Tablet (model 7767-B8G)

Snap.  I have the identical model, bought last month.

> and I'm trying to get Gentoo Stable running on it with varying degrees of
> success.

Snap.  Although Debian and Ubuntu in my case.

> I'm medium-to-advanced in getting kernels to work on weird
> hardware, plus I'm not afraid to patch the heck out of stuff!

I'd rather it just worked, tbh :)

> Since this hardware is brand new, I'll try to keep bashing at it till
> everything works. I'll split out the different problems in different
> mail threads to keep everything sane.

I've managed to get everything working, excluding suspend/resume and the
multitouch panel (the tablet/stylus functionality works a treat.  The
multitouch stuff does appear to generate data on the port, so I imagine
this is just the C driver not knowing what to do with it.)

> I'll try to get my experiences up at thinkwiki sometime this week
> (there's a few patches with ALSA and the wacom tablet that's required,
> some hints on how to shrink the EVIL VISTA partition, etc...)

I did the ALSA patches, yes.  I found all that was required to get the
wacom working was the relevant setserial.  I discovered the ports and
IRQs by booting Vista and looking in the device manager - thankfully,
they're identical to the X41t's (0x200 IRQ 5).

> Now to the problem:
>
> I'm running kernel 2.6.22-gentoo-r2 #1 SMP PREEMPT (no acpi or pci
> options on cmdline). After a minute or so of uptime I get the following
> (and then, predictably, the USB ports on the right side go dead):
>
> irq 20: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)

Snap.  The problem goes away by doing the suggested: adding the irqpoll
option to the kernel's command line.  This seems like an acceptable
workaround, but I am too happy to provide any assistance to anybody who
wants to track down the reason.

B.