[ltp] Thinkpad x61 Tablet (irq 20: nobody cared)

Hendrik-Jan Heins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 22:43:30 +0200

2007/8/6, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com>:
> Hendrik-Jan Heins top-posted:
> > So far I even have most Thinppad buttons working too (so also wireless
> > on / off, bluetooth on/off,
>
> All of these work out of the box for me on Ubuntu 7.04.  I did, however,
> patch the thinkpad-keys daemon to only check status once every half
> second rather than every 50ms to reduce CPU wakes.  Apparently, in newer
> kernels the ibm-acpi stuff renders daemons like thinkpad-keys tpd redundant.

tpb is not really developed anymore I think.
The last version dates from 2004.
I do like the osd of tpb though...

> > suspend to ram, sleep and auto suspend to
> > ram on closing the lid.
>
> I only have suspend to RAM working with init=/bin/bash.  I suspect a
> module is causing it to fail (it never turns off - it just remains on
> blinking the moon LED.)  I have yet to manage to gather the patience to
> work out which module it is by removing them one by one and rebooting
> everytime.  Suggestions welcome.  (I've tried removing ALSA, the
> graphics, and the Wi Fi-related drivers.)

Hmm, maybe you could do an "lsmod" and show which modules are loaded?
I'm currently using the ipw3945d daemon, and not the new iwl-wifi driver

> > The only things I can't seem to get to work at the moment are the
> > brightness buttons and the volume up/down buttons.
>
> My volume buttons work perfectly with thinkpad-keys.  I can change the
> brightness manually with poking in /proc.  I suspect configuration
> faults somewhere in acpi-support.

"thinkpad-keys"... could you provide a link?

Brightnes does sort of work. There are actually a couple of places
where you can change it a the moment. 2 in /proc and 1 in /sys.
But they don't really carry over well when doing a suspend.
Using xbacklight works like a charm though.
Ah yes, and thinkpad-acpi now "thinks" there are 7 brightness levels
for your screen, while the X61 in fact has 16 brightness levels. So I
guess some work is needed there.

> > And I'd also REALLY like to have the "page forward/"page back" buttons
> > to work in the browser, but I have no idea how.
>
> They generate keycodes 0xe9 and 0xe0 respectively according to the GNOME
> keyboard shortcuts config applet, so they can certainly be detected.
> The thing you have to do is make your browser respond to those
> keypresses.  I don't believe GNOME or KDE have any infrastructure for
> supporting such keys, but perhaps a Firefox extension could be written?

Jiang Qian's solution should work...
Unfortunatly I can't seem to get it running.
I already had keyconfig installed, and I did attach an F# to the keys,
but for some reason The keys don't show up in Iceape/Iceweasel.

> > As for irqpoll; see:
> > http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
> >
> > <snip>
> > irqpoll               [HW]
> > 802                           When an interrupt is not handled search all handlers
> > 803                           for it. Also check all handlers each timer
> > 804                           interrupt. Intended to get systems with badly broken
> > 805                           firmware running.
> > </snip>
> >

> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=447449&group_id=42302&func=browse
> > I can't find the exact bug anymore,
> > but there are a couple of them in there that are related to this issue.
> > When I went tthrough the buglist, I tried varieous options mentioned
> > there, and it turned out that the unstable behaviour was related to
> > the irqpoll option for me.
>
> I'm certainly not seeing any of these problems that are mentioned - the
> unhandled IRQ appears to only occur once, at boot.  And all of my USB
> sockets work regardless of the option being present or not.
>
> B.

I agree; I do see the error just like you, but it doesn't seem to
affect the working of any device on the thinkpad.

Hendrik-Jan