[ltp] Re: lenovo to provide linux support?

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 07 Aug 2007 01:03:13 -0400

> thanks for the thoughts on this. you're quite right - i guess
> 'supporting ourselves' (one way or another) is the only way that works.
> if anything its of interesting historical note.

Yes "support" is a big word for what they really do, but to be honest when
your provider claims to support GNU/Linux in some way, even tho we all know
it's the most minimalist way possile, it does have the advantage that when
a problem only happens on the GNU/Linux side, there is a chance that they'll
look into it.

E.g. my T60's gigabit ethernet card had a bad checksum in its EEPROM (this
was not just my machine, but a whole bunch of them), and Lenovo distributed
a fix it for, even though the problem only affected GNU/Linux (because the
driver on XP and friends doesn't seem to bother checking the checksum).

        Stefan