[ltp] Thinkpad x61 Tablet (irq 20: nobody cared)

Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:32:03 -0300

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007, Jan Gutter wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 19:40 +0100, Rob Kendrick wrote:
> > Jan Gutter wrote:
> > I'd rather it just worked, tbh :)
>
> Yah, but you know the drill by now: Linux devs mostly only get their
> hands on hardware after release, while hardware vendors think there's no
> bugs in the system if Windows boots ;-)

That's just for vendors that consider us second-class citizens.  We get
Intel support in-kernel before the chips hit the streets, for example.
Vendors of medium and big iron also support Linux very, very well.

Other vendors have split-brain problems, such as HP: HP printer division
deploys support in HPLIP at about the time printers are hitting the streets
(i.e. Linux is a first-class citizen for HP printers), while HP scan
division is a Windows-only shop (Linux is unknown to them, not even a
second-class citizen)...

> > Snap.  The problem goes away by doing the suggested: adding the irqpoll
> > option to the kernel's command line.  This seems like an acceptable
> > workaround, but I am too happy to provide any assistance to anybody who
> > wants to track down the reason.
>
> Unfortunately it seems to hang my laptop when I try that. I wonder if it
> might be different BIOS settings?

Looks like broken BIOS firmware to me, which is not surprising at all in a
very new X-series model.

  Henrique Holschuh