[ltp] lenovo to provide linux support?

Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:45:42 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007, Bill Andrus wrote:
>> Old news, Fall last year.   My second drive on my WSXGA+ 15.4 T60 with
>> T5500, X1400 and 2GB RAM is KUBUNTU Gutsy and its PERFECT.
>
> Not by *my* definition of perfect.  I can tell you thinkpad-acpi in that
> kernel is not doing even half of what it could, should I have some help from
> Lenovo.

I'd be very interested to know what else thinkpad-acpi could be capable
of - I'm
already impressed by how well it works. Being able to scriptably flash
the thinklight is neat :-)

For what it's worth, my T60p is doing very well under Feisty, except that:

  - after a suspend-to-disk, sound doesn't work (the mixer works, module
can be loaded/unloaded, xmms thinks everything is playing OK), but
there's no actual noise out of the speakers. It isn't a muting issue,
since echo X > /proc/acpi/ibm/beep works fine. It requires a power-cycle
and a clean boot to get it back

  - I get random (every couple of weeks) hard locks, which require the
power-switch to reboot (not even SysRQ, or flashing keyboard LEDs). They
seem to be GUI related. I'm using the VESA driver, rather than fglrx,
and I left memtest running for ages to check for bad RAM.

  - toggling the wireless kill switch too many times will result in an
unusable wireless device, again requiring a reboot. (unloading/reloading
the kernel module doesn't fix it).

O/T: Firefox is a horrific memory hog (this has influenced my decision
to get a 64-bit desktop machine, so that FF there can address > 4GB
(yes, really!) of swap)

Regards,

Richard