[ltp] Bluetooth hotkey problem with T41

Matthias Himber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:18:31 +0200

> I installed Ubuntu 7.04 to my T41 thinkpad a while ago. Almost everything
> has been working perfectly, except that I have encountered a minor problem
> with the bluetooth hotkey (all other hotkeys are working ok). Fn=AD+F5 ho=
tkey
> doesn't switch bluetooth on and off. Bluetooth itself is working ok, but
> I'd like to switch it off easily when not used to save battery life...
Odd. Works out of the box for me, same Ubuntu 7.04, on a T40p.

> echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> echo disable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
>
> When trying above mentioned commands with or without sudo, outcome is
> always the same:
>
> bash: /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth: Permission denied
That's a subtlety of the shell: output redirection is not affected by=20
prepending "sudo". Either create a shellscript contining those commands and=
=20
call it with sudo, or use tee:
  echo enable | sudo tee /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
  echo disable | sudo tee /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth

HTH,
	Matthias Himber

--=20
The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those who hav=
e=20
not got it.
	-- George Bernard Shaw