[ltp] Bluetooth hotkey problem with T41

Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:08:44 +0300

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 07:35:53PM +0300, Mlundgre wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 7.04 to my T41 thinkpad a while ago. Almost everything
> has been working perfectly, except that I have encountered a minor problem
> with the bluetooth hotkey (all other hotkeys are working ok). Fn=AD+F5 ho=
tkey
> doesn't switch bluetooth on and off. Bluetooth itself is working ok, but =
I'd
> like to switch it off easily when not used to save battery life...

I like to keep my Bluetooth off, and Wifi on.  As a consequence I don't
want a single hot key to toggle both, so I mapped Fn-F6 to toggling
bluetooth via a shell script in /etc/acpi and an event file in
/etc/acpi/events/.  I'd paste the config here, but I don't have it on
this laptop yet.

> After noticing this issue, I checked IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras Driver read=
me
> -document and there was told that bluetooth can be enabled and disabled
> using following commands:
>=20
> echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
> echo disable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
>=20
> When trying above mentioned commands with or without sudo, outcome is alw=
ays
> the same:
>=20
> bash: /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth: Permission denied

There's a trick to using 'echo > filename' with sudo, you can't simply
prepend 'sudo' in front.  Try

  echo enable | sudo tee /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth

> I'd like get Fn+F5 hotkey working, but don't know how it can be done.

Are you sure it doesn't work?  Ubuntu's script makes Fn-F5 switch
between four states: both on, wifi off+bt on, wifi on+bt off, both off.
If you just try it once, most likely you won't notice any change.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Remember the... the... uhh.....

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL