[thinkpad] [ltp] T61: ipw3945 speed limited to 256 kbit/s?

lou linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:22:13 -0400

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Yesterday I bought a Lenovo T61.  Today I'm about halfway through
> configuring Ubuntu Gutsy on it (pain pain pain).
>
> The worst problem at the moment is wireless speed: it seems to be
> limited to 32 kilobytes per second.  Ouch.  iwconfig eth1 shows
> "Bit Rate:54 Mb/s".  The card is an Intel 3945ABG, ipw3945 version is
> 1.2.1mp, according to dmesg.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Marius Gedminas

FWIIW: I am getting about 1.1 meg down (from dslreports.com)  running
wireless on my T61 with Kubuntu feisty fawn.. kernel upgraded to 2.6.22
and the Nvdia drivers. But I had to set the thing for static IP address,
it would not pull dynamic (wired worked fine out of the box after the
kernel upgrade). Static is alright here but hard to live with on the road.
Silly me, I figured Lenovo would have Linux drivers for the T61 since
they have them for th T60... More stuff doesn't work than does. My
system will both suspend and hibernate... it just won't wake up from
either. No brightness controls and no audio. No fingerprint thingie but
that doesn't work for zilch in Vista anyway (it is a solution looking
for a problem). I haven't tried to burn CD/DVD's but I see others having
problems with that. I use the UltraBay for an additional hard drive anyway.

On the bright side, it boots really fast and VMWare (have to reinstall
after the upgrade), Thunderbird and such work fine. Since I  never
listen to audio and found a "fix" for the brightness problem (not yet
installed) in the Thinklinux listserve there is some hope. Seems like
lots of folks working on it.

It is the first OS/machine combination that I have seen that makes Vista
look like a thoroughbred  :-)

I found that SLED 10.1 installed the easiest, must be the Microsoft
influence :-), but then neither USB or Wireless worked Hmmm, Microsoft
influence, eh?

--
Lou

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
    Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000), Charlie Brown in "Peanuts"