[ltp] Re: Re: need help with T43p, fglrx display drivers and suspend to ram

Raanan Manor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 03:21:44 +0300

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 14:51 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 8/11/07, Raanan Manor <raanan@opcat.com> wrote:

> > > that's the git repository.  That contains all branches.  Here's what
> > > you'll need to do.
> > >
> > > 1. make sure you have at least xserver 1.3 or higher
> > > 2. install your distro's xorg-dev, xserver-dev, mesa-dev packages
> > > 3. backup your old ati_drv.so and radeon_drv.so
> > > 4. grab the ati git tree:
> > > git clone git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
> > > 5. switch to the newly cloned directory
> > > cd xf86-video-ati
> > > 6. check out the randr-1.2 branch
> > > git 1.4:
> > > git checkout randr-1.2
> > > git 1.5:
> > > git checkout origin/randr-1.2
> > > 7. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
> > > 8. make
> > > 9. as root:
> > > make install
> > >
> > > if you want to play with tv-out, you also need the latest xrandr package:
> > > 1. git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/app/xrandr
> > > 2. cd xrandr
> > > 3. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
> > > 4. make
> > > 5. as root:
> > > make install
> > >
> > > Once you've done that you can use xrandr to control your outputs and
> > > crtc orientations.
> > >
> > > Alex
> >
> > Thanks.
> > I have it compiled and running, but still i can not make the LVDS
> > 1600x1200 and the VGA-1 1680x1050.
> >
> > When i use xrandr and turn off the LVDS (1600x1200) the VGA-1 max
> > resolution is set to 1600x1200 so i can not change it to 1680x1050 as
> > 1680 is larger then 1600.
>
> the default max desktop size is 1600x1200 (until we get a decent
> memory manager for X/drm).  to make it bigger, edit your xorg.conf and
> add a virtual line to the screen section with the biggest desktop
> you'd like to be able to switch to:
>
> e.g.,
> Virtual 1680 1200
> or
> Virtual 3280 1200
> if you want to do 1600x1200 + 1680x1050 dualhead
>
> Alex

Thanks.

Is there a way only to operate one screen at a time with it's full
resolution. i.e. not dual head but only one head working in any given
time, and if I need to replace screens i can restart the X-server or
boot and work on the other screen.

Raanan.