[ltp] Re: radeon tv-out

Wolf Wiegand linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:35:53 +0200

Hi,

thanks for you answer, this helped me a lot. Some comments below, mostly
needed adjustments for Debian Unstable:

> git-ati-driver:
> ---------------
> 1. First make sure you back up the existing radeon (radeon_drv.so) and ati
> (ati_drv.so) drivers.

These are located in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/.

> 2. install the xorg-dev, mesa-dev, xserver-dev, drm-dev packages for your
> distro

For Debian, these packages are called: xorg-dev, libgl1-mesa-dev,
xserver-xorg-dev, and libdrm-dev.

> 3. git-clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

git-clone comes with the package 'git' (surprise!)

> 4. cd xf86-video-ati
> 5. git checkout origin/randr-1.2  (Git-Version 1.5)
>     git checkout randr-1.2 (Git-Version 1.4)
> 6. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr (or any home-directory, but then you have to
> copy the files manual to the correct directory)

This aborted with the following message:

configure.ac:38: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_STATIC
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:39: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

After installing the package 'libtool', everything worked allright.

> 7. make
> 8. (sudo) make install (or copy the files radeon_drv.so/ati_drv.so)

Don't have X running while doing so.

> xrandr:
> --------
> 1. git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/app/xrandr

1b. cd xrandr

> 2. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
> 3. make
> 4. make install

Or just copy xrandr from the current directory to /usr/bin/

> 1.) xrandr --addmode S-video 800x600
> 2.) xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600

Thanks a lot, I just noticed that I don't have an S-video cable, so I
cannot see right now if this works, but I'll will buy one tomorrow.

This is on an R40, btw:

$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

Cheers,

Wolf
--
Büroschimpfwort des Tages: Persönlicher Zigarrenabbeißer - als Alternative zu
"Schleimer". (Frank Schümann)