[ltp] X61 Brightness Question

Jeremy L. Moles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:02:49 -0400

Hello fellow Thinkpad gurus! :)

We've got a number of X61 machines here with a problem I've never quite
seen before: using 2.6.21 or 2.6.22, with either the "included"
thinkpad-acpi module or the latest 0.15 patched version, I cannot get
the machine to--in any way--recognize the pressing of the brightness
DOWN button (though it should be noted, however, that brightness UP
works fine).

In 0.14 thinkpad-acpi I used /proc/acpi/event to watch for chatter
relating to the keypress. In 0.15 I used a small utility to monitor the
evdev device node (/dev/input/event5 in our case) to monitor any noise.
In both cases, only brightness UP did anything.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Does anyone have any ideas as to
where I might be able to start hacking? We are using the most up-to-date
BIOS, as of early this morning. The keys works fine in Windows (blergh)
and during the GRUB boot screen (and indeed, the rest of the BIOS until
the kernel takes over, naturally). Our hotkey knob in proc is enabled
and uses a 0xFFFF mask.

Thanks for your time...