[ltp] X61 Brightness Question

Jeremy L. Moles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:20:03 -0400

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 09:52 -0400, Jeremy L. Moles wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 19:38 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Jeremy L. Moles wrote:
> > > In 0.14 thinkpad-acpi I used /proc/acpi/event to watch for chatter
> > > relating to the keypress. In 0.15 I used a small utility to monitor the
> > > evdev device node (/dev/input/event5 in our case) to monitor any noise.
> > > In both cases, only brightness UP did anything.
> >
> > That would mean Lenovo broke the ACPI DSDT/SSDT.  Complain to them if that's
> > the case (but see below, first).
> >
> > > the kernel takes over, naturally). Our hotkey knob in proc is enabled
> > > and uses a 0xFFFF mask.
> >
> > Use 0xffffff on 0.15.  That just might fix the issue. Did it?
>
> Yes indeed. :) Many thanks...

A quick caveat here:

The device node that thinkpad-acpi creates isn't recognized by any
version of HAL I have access to as a keyboard input device; that is,
when hald-runner starts up and enumerates the input devices via
probe-input, it simply ignores the device node (though I have not
investigated why). This is probably a very easy thing to fix, though I'm
not sure if thinkpad-acpi is creating the device node incorrectly
(unlikely) or that HAL simply isn't recognizing it properly (likely).

For the time being I will just use the 2.6.21 and earlier behavior,
though I wanted to at least mention this here. Has anyone else seen
this?