[ltp] X61 Brightness Question

Thu, 16 Aug 2007 01:35:02 -0300

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
> > And it certainly wouldn't work right when reading brightness if you used
> > anything but thinkpad-acpi to change it.
> >
> Well, in dmesg it actually says it recognises an X61 and my bios
> revison, so I think that works?

It just means the firmware looks like a thinkpad's :-)  it is there so that
i don't have to ask about it every time I get a debug dump, and because the
driver actually needs that information for bug workaronds and such.

> > > Actually now I do see 0-7 brightness levels in
> > > /sys/class/backlight/thinkpad_screen/actual_brightness
> > > Shouldn't I see more levels?
> >
> > Yes, but I didn't figure out how to detect a 16-level thinkpad yet from the
> > ACPI tables.
> >
> Maybe you shouldn't try to detect it, but set it. Apparently it is
> known how many levels there are for each type of thinkpad?

That would mean an assumption I have to keep chasing after. Yes, I *can* do
it and ask the user to select which mode, and add a blacklist for the few
Lenovo thinkpads that have only 7 levels... but if I can detect it for real,
that would be best.  I just didn't have the time to go after that yet, and
nobody else seems to be trying to.

> Right.. But I cannot get that to work with the kernel modules!

You should be able to with 2.6.22, AFAIK.  Try it in single-user mode, with
no crap loaded but the video module.  Make *sure* HAL and acpid are *not*
running.  Keys should work. Do they?

  Henrique Holschuh