[ltp] Fedora 6, T60, ATI radeon mobility X1400 won't see new widescreen at 1680x1050, only at 12x10

Whil Hentzen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:42:19 -0500

Hi folks,

A brand spankin' new ViewSonic 22" widescreen showed up today and
instead of eatin' dinner, I had to rip open the box and replace my
trustworthy ol' 19" guy.

Things have not gone well. In short, the widescreen won't recognize 1680
x 1050 mode when I'm running Fedora Core 6. It'll only show 1280x1024
(which, on a widescreen, is making me blind.)

When I boot in Windows XP, though, the computer+ATI card does display
16x10 in widescreen on the monitor very nicely.

So I played around with Display settings (via the GUI and via
system-config-display) tonight. Bad results.

- by default, at 12x10, the Display applet shows:
-- Monitor: Unknown
-- Video: ATI Radeon Mobility X1400
(although when I click on "Configure", it shows 'vesa' being selected,
not the radeon driver.)

- If I configure either the video card to be radeon OR the monitor to be
a LCD 1680x1050, the following happens:

- I restart (reboot)
- 2 char based dialogs telling me that the Xserver couldn't be started
- Offers me the chance to config the display manually
- I do so
- "Failure to start X server" message
- "Couldn't start XServer with old config, using default
- system hangs, big red switch time

This is VERY reproducible. :)

Xorg.0.log shows near top:
(WW) No monitor found for "Screen0"
at the bottom:
(EE) No devices detected
Fatal server crash
No screens found

If I then change the video from 'radeon' to 'vesa' in xorg.conf, for
example, the system boots and instead of Fedora barking at me, the
monitor displays:

   Horizontal out of range: 90 KHz
   Vertical out of range: 60 Hz

and it's big red switch time again.

I'm a-very frustrated. I've gone back through the archives, reading
every message with "ati" or with "widescreen" in it, found nothing
related except some scary suggestions about recompiling drivers....

I've attached one of the nasty xorg.conf that doesn't work below.

Whil
Milwaukee WI

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Synaptics"
	Driver      "synaptics"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto-dev"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	ModelName    "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
	HorizSync    31.5 - 67.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection