[ltp] Fedora 6, T60, ATI radeon mobility X1400 won't see new widescreen at 1680x1050, only at 12x10

Hamish linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:54:00 +0100

On Friday 17 August 2007 13:46, Whil Hentzen wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
> > On Friday 17 August 2007 05:42, Whil Hentzen wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> A brand spankin' new ViewSonic 22" widescreen showed up today and
> >> instead of eatin' dinner, I had to rip open the box and replace my
> >> trustworthy ol' 19" guy.
> >>
> >> Things have not gone well. In short, the widescreen won't recognize 1680
> >> x 1050 mode when I'm running Fedora Core 6. It'll only show 1280x1024
> >> (which, on a widescreen, is making me blind.)
> >
> > FWIW I had the exact same problems on my z61p. Both on the internal
> > 1680x1050 LCD and on an external 1680x1050 LCD... I eventually used the
> > ATI proprietary drivers and they manage to drive the monitors OK...
> > Although with the usual caveats about tainting the kernel etc... (And
> > some stuff which breaks on the ATI drivers).
>
> That sounds promising!
>
> While I'm used to editing /etc files and poking around here and there,
> I've never messed with drivers. I just update via the Fedora GUI's
> Software Updater and that's that.
>
> So... adventuring into this new world - where do I find the specific ATI
> drivers I need, and once in hand, what do I do with them?

I think with FC you have to download from ATI & follow the instructions...
Gentoo has a package & you can just emerge it, but I don't do RPM Hell...