[ltp] hotplug install hangs on drive reference

Sun, 19 Aug 2007 01:51:47 +0100

Dan Sawyer wrote:
> All,
>
> The system is a T41 running a 2.6.21 kernel and tp_smapi installed. The
> tpwiki scripts are also installed.
>
> Drive removal appears to work fine. The drive powers off and the removal
> get the anticipated beep.
>
> Drive install also appears to work, the drive powers up, and receives
> the appropriate beep.
>
> However after a drive install attempts to reference the drive result is
> a complete system hang with the disk light full on. Due to the hang no
> diagnostic information is available. Does anyone have any tips or clues?

Is any of this relevant?
I had similar sorts of trouble with an X22 + Ultrabase last year.
   http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_the_UltraBase

Also, if you boot the system in single user mode (append "single" to the
kernel command line), it should make the boot-test-crash-reboot cycle a
little faster.

Lastly, it's possible (though I don't know how) to do memory dumps by
using a fire wire card.

Best wishes,

Richard