[ltp] Fedora 6 on T60p 1600x1200 resolution?

Peter F. Patel-Schneider linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:50:22 -0400 (EDT)

From: Ed Collins <ed.collins2@comcast.net>
Subject: [ltp] Fedora 6 on T60p 1600x1200 resolution?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:01:42 -0400

> I've just loaded Fedora 6 on my Thinkpad T60p with the 15" widescreen.
>
> The specs for the machine claim it supports resolution up to
> 1600x1200 but I can't get that to work.
>
> I loaded the appropriate (I think) fglrx driver from ATI and it
> defaults to 1280x1024, which is stretched horizontally on my screen.
>
> Is there a way to get the 1600x1200 resolution working on this setup?
> --

Why do you want 1600x1200 on a *widescreen*?

I have an older T60p with a 15" 1600x1200 screen.  This works fine in
Fedora Core 6.  I'm using the proprietary fglrx driver, obtained from
livna, but the screen also worked OK at 1600x1200 with the vesa driver,
just a bit slowly.

You might be able to get the correct resolution just by using the menu item:
	System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution

With the fglrx driver version 8.39.4 comes the ATI Catalyst Control
Center, which can hot-plug displays.  Although this doesn't work
perfectly (it needlessly complains complains about rebooting, and I can't
get it to use different resolutions in Big Desktop mode), it is good enough to
use an XGA projector without restarting X.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research

PS:  Here is my xorg.conf file.  Most of the junk in it is to set up the
touchpad and mouse in a reasonable fashion.

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier  "Default Layout"
        InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice "TouchPad"  "AlwaysCore"