[ltp] Re: 3com 3CRWE154G72 Wireless network on Mandriva and T20

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:03:16 +0200

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:29:56 +0200
Peter Lemken <linux-thinkpad@bloatware.de> wrote:

> On Monday 20 August 2007 23:17:15 Peter Crighton wrote:
>
> > Out of interest, does anyone have a Thinkpad with Mandriva 2007
> > working with a wifi card and WPA?
>
> I spent endless hours, days and even weeks to get WPA working on
> Ubuntu, Fedora and Mandriva.
>
> The one thing that finally worked:
>
> Make sure you have no more than one kernel version installed
> in /lib/modules , /usr/src/ and boot. It seems that most Linux
> distributions, once updated, completely b0rk any WPA-stuff.
>
> As I said, took me weeks to figure it out. Maybe this helps you.
>
> Peter Lemken
> Berlin

I just stumbled across wicd and it's been great.  I was using WEP
with an internal Intel card in my T23 running Xubuntu Edgy.  That was
easy using wifi-radar and the Xubuntu network configuration utility.
However, neither one handles WPA without some extra work. So when I
was able to move up to WPA recently I thought I would have some
trouble getting WPA working.  But before I started I came across a
review of wicd, installed it and fired it up.  Wicd automatically
found that I had wpa_supplicant installed, used the right driver, did
its thing and made the connection.  Simple. Out of the box it prefers
Ubuntu or Debian but should work with Mandriva with some fiddling.
Check out wicd.sourceforge.net

John