[ltp] xorg: disable external video

Jan Gutter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 07:35:54 +0200

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 21:57 -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad T61 with Intel X3100 integrated graphics.  I have
> xorg

I've got a ThinkPad X61 tablet with the same graphics, and had the same
problem. There's two solutions:

1) Wait for the latest driver (xf86-video-intel-2.1.1): I think they've
added a fix for this very problem (just saw a few lines in the code).

2) Edit your xorg.conf with the following:

#Set the TVOutput to "ignore" rather than "disable"
#That will cause the driver to ignore it completely
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "TVOutput"
        Option          "Ignore"        "true"
EndSection

#Apply the TVOutput settings to the monitor-TV
#output for the driver
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel X3100"
        Driver          "intel"
        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
        Option          "RenderAccel"   "true"
        Option          "monitor-TV"    "TVOutput"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Intel X3100"
        Monitor         "Thinkpad Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Subsection "Display"
                Depth   24
                Modes   "1024x768"
#This is useful for multiple monitors. If not set
#you might have problems with the --left-of, --right-of, etc.
#Basically sets the maximum screen layout you're allowed to have.
                Virtual 2304 1024
        EndSubsection
EndSection

a simple way to check whether the settings are OK is using the new
xrandr. (Dunno if it's 1.2 only or works with an earlier version too.)

If you don't see the TV output, you're fine!

Also, the TV output and the VGA output are two completely different
monitors from the driver's point of view. Since I have no TV output at
all, the second option is a perfect solution for me ;-) I've been using
the VGA output with no problem with the settings in the xorg.conf above.

--
|name:     Jan Gutter          |