[ltp] QTParted fails with 'Operation not supported' during NTFS resize [SOLVED]

Linux NG/Lists linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Aug 2007 21:50:15 -0500

I'm posting this to the list so that it's in the archives.... Stumped ME
for an hour or two.

Got a brand spankin' new T61 with XP on it. It's just aching to have
Fedora installed on it, doncha know.

So I throw a Knoppix 5.0 CD in the drive and boot the box. (This is the
first time the machine has ever been turned on.) Load Knoppix.

Two SDA drives are displayed on the desktop, neither is mounted.
Open QTParted
Two partitions are displayed
   sda1: ntfs, active, 95GB
   sda2: fat32, 5 GB (recovery partition)
Used space is displayed in yellow in both

Select the SDA1, active partition
Right-click, resize, change the partition from 95 to 30 GB.
See the original partition in red, plus a new, grey 65 GB, free  partition
Click the Save (disk) icon.
Warning dialog appears, select 'Yes' to the warning

Dialog appears, thermo bar spins across screen
Error message:
   "Opening 'dev/sda1' as ntfs failed: Operation not supported"

I am forlorn.

Notes:
1. This is repeatable.
2. If I uncheck the active partition so that it's inactive, same results.

I've searched on the LTP and FC lists for this error and any other
messages on qtparted; all I see is "QTParted is great! Don't use
Partition Magic!!!" things. :)

And the LTP wiki topic:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_steps_which_apply_to_every_Thinkpad_model
doesn't reference this either.

I'm a-thinking that maybe I just need to set a switch somewhere.... But
I was wrong.

First, when I first booted the box, Windows tried to start up, but I
said, "au contraire, don't you dare!" and shut the box back down. This
must have caused Windows to twist its knickers.

Cuz, second, the Q&A here:

http://hdstock.mit.edu/answer.php?id=8247

says that the Operation not supported often happens if Windows is shut
down uncleanly. So I restarted Windows, let it boot properly, and then
shut down nicely.

QTParted then resized the partition properly.

Hope this helps someone else down the line. FC6 is a-installing as I hit
save.

Whil Hentzen
Milwaukee WI