[thinkpad] [ltp] QTParted fails with 'Operation not supported' during NTFS resize [SOLVED]

lou linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 05:59:00 -0400

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
had used True Images Disk Director, but not from a "dirty drive". <br>
Good luck with the T61, I have Kubuntu Feisty Fawn on mine and enough
stuff working to make it quite likable. I had to upgrade the kernel to
get the wireless recognized. I also switched to the nVidia drivers. Now
using VMWare WS 6.0 (installs with anyany patch) and a W2K VM to do
some VFP 9.0 support and other development stuff when necessary.
Suspend to RAM is still iffy and I have not pursued sound (not working)
or brightness control yet. Thunderbird and such are fine and there is
now a package to make popfile much easier to install. <br>
Lou<br>
Linux NG/Lists wrote:
posting this to the list so that it's in the archives.... Stumped ME
for an hour or two.
Got a brand spankin' new T61 with XP on it. It's just aching to have
Fedora installed on it, doncha know.
So I throw a Knoppix 5.0 CD in the drive and boot the box. (This is the
first time the machine has ever been turned on.) Load Knoppix.
Two SDA drives are displayed on the desktop, neither is mounted.
Open QTParted
Two partitions are displayed
&nbsp; sda1: ntfs, active, 95GB
&nbsp; sda2: fat32, 5 GB (recovery partition)
Used space is displayed in yellow in both
Select the SDA1, active partition
Right-click, resize, change the partition from 95 to 30 GB.
See the original partition in red, plus a new, grey 65 GB, free&nbsp;
partition
Click the Save (disk) icon.
Warning dialog appears, select 'Yes' to the warning
Dialog appears, thermo bar spins across screen
Error message:
&nbsp; "Opening 'dev/sda1' as ntfs failed: Operation not supported"
I am forlorn.
Notes:
1. This is repeatable.
2. If I uncheck the active partition so that it's inactive, same
results.
I've searched on the LTP and FC lists for this error and any other
messages on qtparted; all I see is "QTParted is great! Don't use
Partition Magic!!!" things. :)
And the LTP wiki topic:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_steps_which_apply_to_every_Thinkpad_model">http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_steps_which_apply_to_every_Thinkpad_model</a>
doesn't reference this either.
I'm a-thinking that maybe I just need to set a switch somewhere.... But
I was wrong.
First, when I first booted the box, Windows tried to start up, but I
said, "au contraire, don't you dare!" and shut the box back down. This
must have caused Windows to twist its knickers.
Cuz, second, the Q&amp;A here:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://hdstock.mit.edu/answer.php?id=8247">http://hdstock.mit.edu/answer.php?id=8247</a>
says that the Operation not supported often happens if Windows is shut
down uncleanly. So I restarted Windows, let it boot properly, and then
shut down nicely.
QTParted then resized the partition properly.
Hope this helps someone else down the line. FC6 is a-installing as I
hit save.
Whil Hentzen
Milwaukee WI
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Lou

I am the least inept of a very incompetent group.</pre>