[ltp] T61, Intel video, FC6 = widescreen troubles

Mon, 27 Aug 2007 04:00:58 +0100

> So I tried plugging it in again, rebooting the box, but the external
> monitor doesn't see anything. Or maybe that should be that the TP
> doesn't see the external monitor. Fn-F7 has no effect. The laptop screen
> just stays lit up.

Enable BiosHotKeys in xorg.conf.

[As someone else commented, this really should be on by default, and
ought to be called Option "WorkProperly" "yes".]

Monitor switching probably isn't supported by the vesa driver; you may
need fglrx/radeon to do it (assuming you have an ati card). However, the
vesa driver should support the native LCD resolution with no trouble.

> I've read some stuff about special keys
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_get_special_keys_to_work
>
> but I have NO idea about what to do with all of the info there.

It's essentially irrelevant.

This page may help more:
  http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_video_output_switching

Note: you need to decide whether you want to run the 2 screens:

  * In clone mode [default]  => must be same res.
  * One or the other [video switching, with xrandr/xvidtune]
  * In xinerama [dual screen] => 2 different res, simultaneously.

> Problem 2:
>
> So this box is running at 1280x800. I bet I could get better res, huh?
> At least 1440x900, if not 1680x1050. But all the monkeying I've done
> with the Display Settings applet have no effect. In essence, I do this:
>
> - I change Desktop Settings, select 1440x900, save, reboot
> - No effect - still at 1280x800.

3 things, all interacting:

1)xorg.conf desired resolution.
2)gnome desktop applet, which will independently control resolution.
    NOTE:  #2 <= #1, always.  (This is a hideous misfeature).
3)horizsync/vertrefresh may limit your resolution - read
/var/log/Xorg.0.log to see.

You might also try booting with knoppix, using the extra boot parameter
screen=1440x900, and seeing if that works; if so, save that xorg.conf file.

You might also find the thinkwiki article on fglrx and radeon useful,
and may find the xrandr and xvidtune commands helpful.

Also, in order to change resolution, you only need to restart X (i.e.
kdm/gdm), not reboot. You'll find it very helpful if you can ssh in
remotely, and just "service dm/kdm/gdm restart" (as appropriate).

If you can't do that, use Ctrl-Alt-F1,F2,... to have a shell, and an
editor open simultaneously. Also, using the "failsafe" session, rather
than KDE/Gnome should speed up the testing process about 10x.

HTH,

Richard