[ltp] T23 screens takes 1 to minutes to fully come up

Simon Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:39:12 +0100

Mark Stosberg wrote:
> I've worked with a few other T23s, but mine is the only one that exhibits
> this odd hardware behavior:
>
> From a cold boot or restoring from a suspend, the screen remains almost all
> black..with the correct graphics barely visible. Then, after a minute or
> two, the screen will suddenly pop to full brightness.
>
> I know it's a hardware thing because the issue exists even as the BIOS
> splash screen is booting.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? I'm wondering if the monitor connector is just a
> little loose or something. My primary concern is to guess whether this a
> stable condition, or a sign my screen is dying a slow death.

I had a similar problem with my T23 a few weeks ago. When I resumed from
suspend the screen would be off. Usually part closing and opening the
lid a few times fixed it, but eventually that stopped working. I could
still see the graphics very faintly. I took it apart and discovered that
the flat cable between the lcd and the main body of the laptop had gone
brittle. I didn't check what IBM would charge for a replacement- I
bought a second hand (a bit stupid thinking about it now) one on ebay
from the US (I'm in the UK), which cost about 20 pounds altogether.
There weren't many available. Of course, it could be the inverter- I
never left mine still long enough to see if it would come back by
itself. Try opening and closing the lid a few times- if it comes back
earlier than usual then it's probably the cable.