[ltp] Redhat 8.0 install on X60s -- hard drive invisible

Jeff D linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:17:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Adrian Walker wrote:

> Hi All --
>
> Apologies up front for what may be a naive question.
>
> I have a Thinkpad X60s, and it runs Vista.  (Not entirely satisfactory, but
> that's a Microsoft story)
>
> I have removed the Vista hard drive, and replaced it with a new internal
> drive that is identical, but presumably blank, or minimally formatted.
>
> Now, I'm trying to install RedHat 8.0 Linux from CDs, using a USB external
> CD drive.
>
> The first few screens are OK, but then the install process stops, saying
> that it cannot find the hard drive.
>
> Some older versions of RedHat yield similar errors.
>
> Advice and pointers much appreciated!
>
>                                             Thanks!                 --
> Adrian

You might want to check in the bios and see if you can put the drive into
compatibility mode.  That might help, but is there some reason that you
need to install red hat 8.0?  It's been a while since I've used 8, but I
think that getting everything to work on the X60 will be a huge uphill
battle. If at all possible, I'd download a more current version to
install.  Things will more likely work for you that way.

Jeff

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.