[ltp] cancel out HD noise

Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:08:47 +0100

Jiang Qian wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:57:02AM +0200, Gilson Laurent wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The only noise comming from my R51 is the HD spinning. I already replaced the loud default FJS-model with a more slient model. But the low hum still drives me crazy. Now i wonder if stuffing foam around the HD will dampen the noise.
>>
>> Anyone tried this ? Did it reduce the noise ? Did the HD die from the heat ?
>>
>> Note: i cannot afford a real SSD option, nor can i work with a small CF-thing. I need 80GB for my work.

How good is your network? You could use NFS or (even easier) SSHFS for
filestore. Something like the Linksys "SLUG" is a cheap way to get
networked storage.

One way might be to pair the local and network disks. Keep them synced
using rsync, but when you are working within range of the network, spin
down the internal disk, and mount the other one instead, over sshfs.

[sshfs works really well, and is easy to set up for the client. You
don't need anything else on the server except sshd.]

Best wishes,

Richard