[ltp] T61 volume permanently muted

Owen Heisler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:37:21 -0500

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

I was trying to get more of the special keys working and noticed the volume
buttons.  Up/down didn't work, but mute seemed to: no sound at all.  I pressed
it again to unmute, but that didn't work.  Nothing does.  I restarted and ran
alsaconf again, which does still detect the card.  But aplay doesn't seem to be
able to find the card:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:769:(parse_card) cannot find card ''
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3982:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:545: audio open error: No such device

alsamixer doesn't work now either, though before I restarted I checked it and
nothing was muted.

How do I unmute the card?  The sound worked before.  I'm using alsa modules
built using this script with alsa 1.0.14-1 source on Debian Lenny/Sid.
http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/Lenny_on_Thinkpad_T61/#BuildingAlsa-Module

The sound hardware is Intel AD1984: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/AD1984

Thanks.

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+