[ltp] Redhat 8.0 install on X60s -- hard drive invisible

Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:10:59 +0300

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 02:24:59PM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> Seriously though, RH8 is about 5 years old now. The new software is vastl=
y=20
> better, has better hardware compatibility, drivers, and current security=
=20
> updates. If you're a GNOME fan, try out Ubuntu Gutsy, with Compiz - it's=
=20
> *amazing*.

I second the suggestion, with a caveat: Gutsy isn't released yet, so you
may experience some quality issues.

Old distributions don't support the new hardware in recent Thinkpads,
and even current distributions aren't entirely problem-free.  I've had
some difficulties getting Gutsy Tribe 3 to work on my T61; most of those
were resolved in Tribe 5, but a fix needed to make the sound card work
will only appear in Tribe 6.  The final Gutsy release will appear in
October.

> If there's some particular reason you need RH8, ask another question here=
,=20
> because there may be a better way, such as a virtual machine.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW--