[ltp] Great distro to try

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:02:40 -0500

* Connor Behan <connor.behan@gmail.com> [2007 Aug 30 11:42 -0500]:
> For the past 2 years I've been using Ubuntu and most of my friends who we=
re
> Linux users said that at my skill level, I would be crazy to try something
> harder... but I did anyway.  If you are looking for a change I highly rec=
ommend
> Archlinux _=08w_=08w_=08w_=08._=08a_=08r_=08c_=08h_=08l_=08i_=08n_=08u_=
=08x_=08._=08o_=08r_=08g.  It requires some manual setup in almost every
> aspect but I find it very thinkpad friendly.  There are several pages in =
the
> wiki about configuring it for certain thinkpads, it always uses a rolling
> release and if you have an old graphics card (like my 8MB Rage Mobility M=
3)
> DRI/GLX and compositing may still work.  Those never worked for me in Ubu=
ntu
> but once I took the proper steps in Arch, it was no problem.

Just about 11 years ago I took the Linux plunge with Slackware 3.0 as a
complete Linux newb.  Sure, I made a lot of mistakes, but I learned a
lot more.  Many of those hard earned skills carry forward to today.=20
Back then I was an old DOS hand and had gotten bored with Windows 3.1
(I didn't have the hardware to try Win95 and in 1996 it still wasn't an
advantage over 3.1)

I don't think any Linux distribution is "too hard" for anyone with an
aptitude for computing and a willingness to learn.

> Sorry if this sounds like a waste of an e-mail I just thoguht I should pu=
t that
> out there for those who are interested.

I've seen Archlinux mentioned in various places.  I may well check it
out to see what makes it unique from Debian and Slackware.

- Nate >>

--=20
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of