[ltp] Turning off the wireless light

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:00:33 +0200

Hi all,

I have a ThinkPad R51, with Mandriva 2005 installed, and I would like to
be able to turn on and off the bluetooth and wireless radio independently.
I've successfully configured the acpi with different actions (scripts) for
each Fn+Fx combination, what I'm missing is the appropriate command for
turning off the wireless, and specifically the light under the screen
(such as "echo disable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth" with the bluetooth).

I can sort of turn off the radio by running "iwconfig eth1 txpower off",
or I can switch down the connection with "ifdown eth1", but none of them
affect the light. The only way I could find is "modprobe -r ipw2200", but
alas, there is something in my system which automatically loads the module
again and so the light turns on. Is there some other way to turn the light
off? What could be reloading the module? (it might be something I
configured some time ago and I've since forgotten).

Thanks in advance

PS. My current kernel is 2.6.11, with ibm_acpi 0.8. I know it's quite old,
but I'm not prepared to upgrade the system yet.