[ltp] Turning off the wireless light

Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:43:53 +0100

> Thanks in advance
>
> PS. My current kernel is 2.6.11, with ibm_acpi 0.8. I know it's quite
> old, but I'm not prepared to upgrade the system yet.

The kernel-userspace divide is sufficiently well defined that you should
be able to just install the latest kernel. You can do this in parallel
with your existing kernel. Either:

   - compile and install from source (1)
     See: http://www.richardneill.org/a22p-mdk11-0.php#kernel2.6.16
     if you've never done it before.

   - extract from an RPM intended for a later (Mandrake) system

   - Find a running system with the kernel you want, and copy
     over  /boot/vmlinuz-XXX, /boot/initrd-xxx and /lib/modules-XXX,
     then modify lilo/grub.
     [You may need to run mkinitrd instead of copying it.]
     (3)

I did this with a knoppix kernel to get wifi support on Mandrake 9.1
once, and everything worked pretty well.

(1)is "the right way" to do it; (3) is the easy way and will usually work.

Best wishes,

Richard