[ltp] Vendor Diagnostics Partition---Can I wipe it out?

Owen Heisler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:30:31 -0500

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ

On Thu, 2007.08.30 23:27, Jeffrey Franc-Law wrote:
> I need to keep XP running, just for warrenty/hardware configuration
> issues.  Can i wipe out the Vendor Diagnostic partition ( i would then
> reformat into a linux partition)??

I created recovery DVDs and also a rescue DVD, both from the same utility in
Windows, before wiping everything including that extra partition.  The rescue
DVD is bootable and works just like the ThinkVantage button does with the
partition available.  I'm assuming the recovery DVDs would work too, but I
have no plans for making the attempt.  The rescue DVD does hardware testing.

Yours has XP and mine had Vista (no XP option); that might make a difference.
(I was surprised how _slow_ Vista ran.  Debian runs much better.)

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ--