[ltp] T43p with new radeon driver crashes.

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 03:37:56 -0400

> O,
>
> So i am left with three options -
>
> 1) use fglrx and loose suspend-to-ram.
Somehow suspend-to-ram works for my T43 with fglrx, very persistently,
over hundreds of suspend-resume cycle across over a hundred days. It
seems that fglrx has had serious regressions over the releases. I have
8.36.5, and didn't update because the newer releases don't seem to add
any new features.  However, my video chipset in T43 is X300, not FireGL
as presumably in T43p, I don't know whether that makes a difference.

What's your problem with suspend-to-ram and fglrx? Does it not work at
all?  Or  does it have occasional crashes? I presume that you have
checked out the thinkwiki page
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_fglrx#Troubles_using_software_suspend
According to the table, people seem to have success with T43.

For me, one thing cause me to run fglrx on is their power management
feature.  While the open source radeon driver has: DynamicClocks as well
as rovclock, in my experience the fglrx set powerstate control massively
reduce the power consumption and *GPU temperature*, more effective than
the open source solutions. I of course don't blame open source community
for this, but practically, it makes quite a difference for me.

Jiang