[ltp] Re: T61 volume permanently muted

Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:43:30 +0300

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 09:48:02AM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> On Fri, 2007.08.31 15:22, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 04:59:40PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> > > Well, I restarted again, and then alsamixer and aplay worked, though =
with no
> > > sound.  I hit the VolumeUp button, and then it worked.  Okay.  So the=
 Mute
> > > button seems now to mute at the hardware level, and not unmute when p=
ressed
> > > again.  VolumeDown does nothing.  VolumeUp simply unmutes.  The Mute =
button
> > > didn't cause the ALSA problems this time as before.
> >=20
> > Interesting.  As far as I remember, Mute on thinkpads always muted at
> > the hardware level, and you had to press volume up/down to unmute.
>=20
> Not so bad, except that when I say "VolumeDown does nothing" and "VolumeUp
> simply unmutes", I really mean that: they don't adjust the volume either,=
 at
> either hardware or software level.

I think the hardware effect depends on some bits in
/proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey mask.

The software effect depends on other things, such as having the correct
mixer channels selected in gnome-sound-properties, the keys generating
keyboard events (which may need the thinkpad-keys daemon or a newer
thinkpad-acpi registering an input device), and key bindings mapping
those to volume control.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
You'll find creativity working hand in hand with engineering. It will feel
strange and you might feel like things are out of control. Relax - they are.
		-- Richard Gabriel on software
		   http://www.dreamsongs.net/LessonsFromNothing.html

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e--