[ltp] T60, Gutsy, woes!

Phil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 02 Dec 2007 11:31:04 +0000

<head>
</head>
OK, against my better judgement I upgraded my T60 to Gutsy. Main
reasons were the wireless was getting flaky (used to work like a charm&nbsp;
but recently been really difficult to get it to connect) and the
repeated failure to launch update manager because the password entry
box would not appear.<br>
Upgrade went very smoothly (I'm impressed with the slickness of this)
but after upgrade I've got the following major issues:<br>
<ol>
  <li>wireless is screwed</li>
  <li>gnome won't run (but gnome safe session is fine)</li>
  <li>brightness on battery keeps going dim</li>
</ol>
Details below. If anyone can help I'd be grateful.<br>
Cheers<br>
Phil<br>
# uname -a<br>
Linux phil-t60-linux 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT
2007 i686 GNU/Linux<br>
1) Wireless is much worse than before. I've got an Intel Corporation
PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, and browsing on the net there's lots of people
having problems and not a lot of good solutoins. In the end I got it
working by removing network manager, and running the following (several
times, first time didn't work):<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; modprobe -r ipw3945<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; modprobe ipw3945<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; iwlist scan<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; iwconfig eth1 essid &lt;my network essid&gt;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; dhclient eth1<br>
I'd love to get network manager running again, but most stuff I've read
seems to imply it's the cause of the problem.<br>
2) Gnome fails on startup - I can only run in safe session mode.
Looking in .xsession-errors I see the following:<br>
running setuid or setgid.<br>
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper<br>
program instead. For further details, see:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html">http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html</a><br>
Refusing to initialize GTK+.<br>
(process:6202): Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running
setuid or setgid.<br>
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper<br>
program instead. For further details, see:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html">http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html</a><br>
Refusing to initialize GTK+.<br>
gdm[6195]: DEBUG: Attempting to parse key string:
daemon/DefaultPath=/bin:/usr/bin<br>
gdm[6195]: DEBUG: Attempting to parse key string:
daemon/DefaultPath=/bin:/usr/bin<br>
gdm[6195]: DEBUG: Attempting to parse key string:
daemon/BaseXsession=/etc/gdm/Xsession<br>
gdm[6195]: DEBUG: Running /etc/gdm/Xsession /usr/bin/gnome-session for
pshotton on :0<br>
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...<br>
Checking for nVidia: not present.<br>
Starting Xgl with options:&nbsp; -accel xv:pbuffer -accel glx:pbuffer
-nolisten tcp -fullscreen -br +xinerama<br>
Fatal server error:<br>
no screens found<br>
XIO:&nbsp; fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":1.0"^M<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.^M<br>
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/.X1-lock': No such file or directory<br>
can't lock memory: Cannot allocate memoryWARNING: not using secure
memory for passwords<br>
cannot open display:<br>
Run '/usr/bin/seahorse-agent --help' to see a full list of available
command line options.<br>
safe session works fine, but I'm not sure what's blowing me up. XGL?
What should I do about this?<br>
I'm using the ATI fglrx driver (latest version pulled of AMD's site) -
I've got an&nbsp; ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400<br>
3) On battery, the display brightness drops very low (ignoring the
gnome power manager setting). If I up the brightness using the keyboard
Fn-Home key it gets brighter, but after a few minutes something kicks
it back down again.<br>