[ltp] T60, Gutsy, woes!

Phil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 03 Dec 2007 13:23:52 +0000

<head>
</head>
Yay! - got sound working. PCM input was disabled in volume control.
Enabled it and now it works.<br>
Next problem (!) - Skype takes around 1 minute to display the options
dialog - no CPU, network or disk activity - it just sits there. Worked
fine with Feisty. Tried reinstalling but no difference.<br>
Cheers<br>
Phil<br>
Phil wrote:
Some progress with this. I've now got X working quite happily, and good
support of ATI card using the proprietary drivers. The trick was to
disable glx by creating a file ~/.config/xserver-xgl/disable. Now I can
login without using the Gnome safe session, and I can switch between
internal and external and both, with desktop spanning. Suspend to ram
and resume also seems to work although I've had a couple of sporadic
hangs.<br>
Wifi network manager is still rubbish - I was experiencing some
problems with later feisty versions but gutsy seems to have really
screwed it. I have to unload the ipw3945 module and reload it to be
able to connect, and sometimes it takes multiple goes (or even a
reboot).<br>
Otherwise everything else I've tried works fine except - SOUND. No
sound at all (T60 has "Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
Definition Audio Controller" as shown by lspci, but I get no sound
whatever I try. There's also nothing mentioned about sound or the audio
controller in the system logs, should there be?<br>
Overall I've not seen any advantage in upgrading to gutsy - and quite a
few disadvantages. However, as Robin says, a clean install may be a
better bet. If things don't improve I might give this a go, but I've
got a lot of packages added that I'll need to go through and load again
- and I'm bound to miss something crucial :-(<br>
If anyone can suggest something to sort the sound out I'd be very
grateful.<br>
Cheers<br>
Phil<br>
Robin Randhawa wrote:
    <pre wrap="">Hi Phil.

I'm a T61p Gutsy user so what I have to say doesn't strictly apply to
you but it sounds like I had similar "woes".

I had basically performed an upgrade from Feisty and was facing problems
with wireless, arbitrary gnome session failures etc. On a tip from a
friend, I bent over backwards and did a proper install of Gutsy this
time around.

On the whole, the overall Gutsy experience, especially with respect to
Network Manager was way better.It appears that something broke along the
upgrade path which an fresh install seems to have fixed.

At the moment, I have 2.6.23.9 working well - no wireless issues at all
- had to compile iwl4965 and associated subsystems by hand. So far as I
stick to vesa, I have hibernate working well too. The latest
thinkpad-acpi patches seem to work fine.

Cheers,
Robin