[ltp] How to use the input interface?

Evgeni Golov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:16:01 +0100

Hi guys (mainly HMH ;))

I would like to use the "new" input interface to map my extra keys to
something reasonable.
Using ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.16 (2.6.24-rc1) i get a /dev/input/event4
and using "input-events 4" I see the keys being pressed and released,
so the thinkpad-acpi part seems to work fine.
However I cannot get these through to Xorg, so my windowmanager could
handle it :(

I've put the following into my xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier	"ThinkPad Extra Buttons"
        Driver		"evdev"
        Option          "Name"          "ThinkPad Extra Buttons"
EndSection

But when X starts, I only get:
(EE) ThinkPad Extra Buttons: cannot open input pEvdev
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for "ThinkPad Extra Buttons"

Did I miss something?

Regards
Evgeni