[ltp] T60, Gutsy, woes!

Phil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:17:49 +0000

Latest update

I decided to do a clean install, partly just to get rid of all of the
stuff that I'd installed and no longer used. The nice thing about Linux
over windows is much less registry pain.

After a clean install wireless connected instantly. Sound required going
into the sound control applet and turning everything on and pressing the
volume keys on the keyboard - now works fine. It seems that if you mute
from the keyboard, you have to unmute from the keyboard - the sound
control detects that the sound has been muted but fails to unmute it.

I downloaded the latest ATI driver, followed the installation
instructions here
(http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Gutsy_Installation_Guide) and
the graphics performance is good. Getting around 4,000 fps from glxgears
(was 250!). I can't suspend or hibernate without hanging the machine but
this is a known bug with the ATI driver. Didn't have to do anything else.

Brightness control also seems much more well behaved.

Network manager is still flaky despite the instant connection on
install. It doesn't like being asked to switch networks - sometimes it
works, sometimes it doesn't, and it also doesn't seem to play well with
low signal strength (<60%!).

Apart from that I'm very happy with Gutsy - and looking forward to an
ATI driver update.

Thanks for all the help
Phil