[ltp] T60 intermittent freeze

Philippe Clérié linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:42:55 -0500

Hello all,

As the subject says, my T60 intermittently freezes so bad I actually
have to turn off the computer and reboot. Can't even get the keyboard
to work. Network also freezes: can't ping or login via ssh or telnet
which I setup specifically for that.

The lock ups are very random. But they are much, much more common when
I'm running on batteries. On batteries, I get about 6 freezes on a full
charge. When connected to standard power, it only happens once, maybe
twice a week.

It always happens the same way. There are always a set
of horizontal black lines approximately 1/4 in apart extending only
75/80% across the screen. Sometimes there'll be a loud beep. Once, I
had random noise on the speaker.

I cannot reproduce it at will so that's about all I can say to describe
it.

Hardware:
T60-1953ETU.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML
and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Software:
Ubuntu 7.04-feisty (i386 and amd64) -
Ubuntu 7.10-gutsy (i386 and amd64) -

Thanks in advance for any help!
Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>