[ltp] X40 trackpad gone nuts: wipe calibration data?

Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:27:23 -0600 (CST)

> Jon Dowland wrote:
>> I've taken up the G, H, B keys and looked for dirt near the
>> device but it seems clean. Is it worth removing the
>> keyboard entirely?

The TrackPoint has no moving parts (it uses a silicon strain gauge) and is
sealed. You really can't fix it.

>> Failing that, can anyone recommend either DIY
>> repair/replacement instructions for the trackpad,
>> transplanting one from another X40 or a repair dealer who
>> might be able to help?

Any repair facility will put in an entire keyboard assembly. It takes five
minutes to swap it in.

>> I'm fairly sure it isn't a software issue. I've tried a few
>> different kernel versions to no avail (but I hadn't made a
>> chance of that type whe nthe problem started happening).

You could boot a live CD. If it's still crazy, you need a new keyboard
assembly.

>> I could try a BIOS and Controller software upgrade (mine seems to date
>> from 2004) but I'm sceptical if that would help.

You can read the release notes to get some idea of what the changes are
for each release.

Chris