[ltp] R61 touchpad not recognized in Ubuntu

Sébastien Mazy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 22:50:40 +0100

On Dec 9, 2007 9:54 PM, Ugo Riboni <nerochiaro@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I am still stuck on the problem that causes the 3 buttons above the
> > > touchpad to not work properly.
> > > I found out the following, in the meantime:
> > > - hold down one of the 3 buttons and move touchpad, hold is lost
> > > - hold down one of the 3 buttons and move trackpoint, hold is maintai=
ned
> > > - hold down one of the 2 buttons below touchpad and move touchpad,
> > > hold is maintained
> > > - hold down one of the 2 buttons below touchpad and move trackpoint,
> > > hold is lost
> >
> > It seems to be a kernel bug, since xev reports "buttons 1 pressed" for
> > both left buttons. I've tried to improve trackpoint and touchpad's
> > behavior by editing xorg.org with no success.
>
> Maybe they should not both generate "button1" presses, but that
> doesn't seem to be the cause of my issue.
>
> However you gave me the idea to try xev to see what events are
> generated, and what I see is the following:
>
> - hold down one of the 3 buttons and move trackpoint:
> - hold down one of the 2 buttons below touchpad and move touchpad:
>
> ButtonPress (button 1) -> MotionNotify
> (when i later actually release the button, i get  ButtonRelease (button 1=
))

> This is correct. However when i do the following combinations, here's
> what happens:
>
> - hold down one of the 3 buttons and move touchpad:
> - hold down one of the 2 buttons below touchpad and move trackpoint:
>
> ButtonPress (button 1) -> ButtonRelease (button 1) -> MotionNotify
> (when i later actually release the button, i get no event at all)
>
> Any clue what may generate the spurious ButtonRelease event in the first =
case ?

> --
> Ugo
> --

Hi,

I can confirm everything you mentionned. That sure is a kernel bug.
The alps driver is far from complete, due to alps lack of support. The
3 buttons shouldn't be reported as part of the touchpad, they are not
*hardware* part of it. By the way, the fact that they do act in a
different way when hold in cunjunction with the trackpoint must be
linked.

Does anyone know a software ps/2 sniffer for the other os ? I'd like
to compare which data is sent on that port and compare it with what
alps.c expects.

Sébastien