[ltp] Proper setup of Quadro NVS 140M with t61

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 01:55:34 +0200

I'm trying to find out the proper setup of my graphic card with X11 for the
T61, graphic card Quadro NVS 140M. System is debian unstable with the nvidia
beta driver.

I have a constant feeling that I'm not configuring it right, glxgears is very
inconsistent in performance, going from 1000fps to 6000fps on different
start-ups (not sure yet if changed settings). Compiz feels very slugish
(zooming out the cube is ridiculously slow). Some of the 3d games seem ok, but
I still feel that this card should give me more.
Also 3D takes a lot of cpu, seeming to me to suggest that something is not
using the gpu properly.  glxgears fires one one the cores to 100% (cpu shows
100% under top with cpu scaled to 2ghz and x running at 15%). cairo clock causes
X to go to 30% cpu under top.

Anyway, the relevent parts (I think) of my xorg.conf, anything strike anyone
here as wrong, too much or something missing?

by the way, nvidia-settings claims I have 512mb which I don't think this card
can come with, but maybe I'm wrong,

 thanks

Section "Module"
        Load           "dbe"
        Load           "extmod"
        Load           "type1"
        Load           "freetype"
        Load           "glx"
        Load            "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device0"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName   "Quadro NVS 140M"
    Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option      "backingstore" "true"
    Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option      "RenderAccel" "True"
    Option      "Overlay" "True"
    Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
    Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals"   "True"
    Option      "backingstore" "true"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1680x1050" "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

and also ~/.nvidia-settings-rc

#
# /home/micha/.nvidia-settings-rc
#
# Configuration file for nvidia-settings - the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility
# Generated on Fri Dec 14 01:49:37 2007
#

# ConfigProperties:

RcFileLocale = C