[ltp] Re: Sierra Wireless mc8775

Glenn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:04:07 +0900

Glenn wrote:
> Can anyone who has one of these cards tell me the product id as shown
> by lsusb? I have bought one, and am interested to know whether the
> bios will give me errors. sierra.c in the kernel only has one product
> id for that card, but I have seen a patch for a ubuntu kernel for
> someone that had an x61 (i think) and the product id needed to be
> added to the sierra source. Also, if the bios does give me errors, am
> wondering if its possible to edit the cards eeprom like the ipw2200
> workaround and change the product id so that the bios is happy. Thoughts?
>
> Cheers
>
> Glenn

I purchased an aircard 875u which actually has a mc8775 mini-pcie card
inside it. Plugging the usb modem in gives me product id 6812 (as
mentioned in sierra.c) The card works fine plugged into a usb port
inside the usb enclosure. I ripped the card out and replaced my 8755 wth
the new one and the box even booted. No bios error, and the wwan led
even lights up during post, but after about 10 seconds the light goes
out and once the system has booted the kernel doesnt see the card at
all. lsusb doesnt show it and modprobing sierra doesn't give me a
device. Slightly confused at the no bios error, but no device at boot.
The card still works once I plug it back into the enclosure, and my old
card works back in its place as well. Any clues on altering the product
id? ethtool can do firmware dumps and edits, but this obviously needs to
be altered for the wwan card. Any other ideas as to how to go about this?

Cheers

Glenn